The unspoilt Co. Monaghan area is full of unique attractions just waiting to be discovered, with countless scenic walks, outdoor activities, local heritage and cultural centres, arts & crafts, museums and lots more.
County Monaghan is a renowned angling centre throughout Europe and offers some of the best fishing in Ireland.
The region surrounding Mahon Farmhouse is an anglers paradise. There are over 400 lakes teaming with Bream, Roach, Pike, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Trout and Hybrids and approximately 40 lakes within a 10km radius. The Dromore River system which stretches from Ballybay, Co. Monaghan to Cootehill Co. Cavan encapsulates 8 lakes and is right on our doorstep.
At Mahon Farmhouse we cater for the angler in many ways. We provide full fishing tackle storage; including fridges. We also provide a range of boats for hire which can be transported to the lake of your choice in the area. We also have private access to three lakes.
Local Attractions & Activities
Below is a brief outline of of some attractions and activities on offer in the area.
Get Active Outdoors …
- Dromore River Tours – https://dromore-river-guided-canoe-tours.business.site/
- Tanagh Outdoor Pursuits Centre – https://www.tanaghoutdooreducation.com/
- Irish Country Quads – https://irishcountryquads.com/
- A.W.O.L Paintballing – https://www.awolpaintball.ie/
- Mourne Clay Shooting – https://clayshooting.ie/
- Rally School Ireland – https://rallyschoolireland.ie/
- Countless Scenic Walks including local Dartry Forest / Haltons Park in Cootehill, Billy Fox Park in Latton & Dun-na-Ri Park in Kingscourt
- There are excellent Golf courses at Clones, Rossmore, Castleblayney and Nuremore, to name a few.
- Equestrian Centres at Ashfield, Greystones and more.
Explore Culture, Arts & Heritage …
- Erica’s Fairy Forest – http://www.ericasfairyforest.com/gallery.html
- Patrick Kavanagh Centre – https://www.patrickkavanaghcentre.com/
- Carrickmacross Lace – https://www.carrickmacrosslace.ie/
- Castle Leslie, Glaslough – https://www.castleleslie.com/
- Ulster American Folk Park – https://www.facebook.com/ulsteramericanfolkpark/
- Marble Arch Caves – https://marblearchcaves.co.uk/
- Cavan, Monaghan & Baileborough Swimming & Leisure Centres
- The Farnham Estate – https://www.farnhamestate.ie/spa-destination.html
- Riverside Spa – https://riversidespa.ie/
- Castle Leslie Spa – https://www.castleleslie.com/spa-breaks-ireland/spa-treatments-ireland/
To Find out More …
Visit Monaghan Tourism.com to explore all there is to see and do locally in Co.Monaghan:
Family Fun in Co. Monaghan:
Top Restaurants in Co. Monaghan:
To See & Do in Co. Monaghan:
Festivals & Events in Co. Monaghan:
Culture & Heritage in Co.Monaghan:
Visit Castleblayney.ie to explore all the attractions and activities surrounding the beautiful town of Castleblayney.
Visit Carrickmacross.ie to explore everything Carrickmacross has to offer visitors.
Visit Ballybay.ie to explore everything Ballybay has to offer visitors.
Visit Clones-Ireland.com to explore everything Clones has to offer visitors.
Visit Cootehill.ie to explore this scenic local town with features such as Haltons Park on the Dromore River and Erica’s Fairy Forest.
Dromore River Tours
This is a relaxing and unique outdoor activity, exploring Dromore River & Lough by water.
Dromore River Tours offer guided canoe or boat tours, or the option to hire a boat for a day exploring. The Guided Canoe & Boat Tours take in the beauty of Dromore River & Lough as it meanders through the drumlins of the Cavan/Monaghan border. Views of Bellamont House and Dartry Estate can be seen with an abundance of wildlife on offer.